KwaZulu-Natal ANC factions are ready for battle

Axed KwaZulu-Natal economic development MEC Mike Mabuyakhulu has emerged as the favourite of the anti-Jacob Zuma faction in the province to take over as provincial chairperson of the ANC.

The position was left vacant after the Sihle Zikalala-led provincial executive committee (PEC) was declared invalid by the high court in Pietermaritzburg on the eve of the ANC’s elective conference in December last year.

Zikalala, who supported ANC MP Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma’s unsuccessful bid to be elected ANC president, will contest the position. On Monday, the ANC’s top six officials officially dissolved the KwaZulu-Natal PEC, chaired by Zikalala.

In December, Zikalala and his PEC colleagues were only allowed to attend the national conference as branch delegates. They have appealed the judgment, and a second order enforcing it, but have been told to vacate the office.

With the ANC national executive committee (NEC) meeting, which started in Pretoria on Thursday, due to ratify the officials’ decision and appoint a provincial task team to oversee the rerun of the conference, both the Zikalala-led faction and the supporters of ousted chairperson Senzo Mchunu are drawing up leadership slates. Mchunu and his faction backed Cyril Ramaphosa to succeed Zuma. The task team is likely to be made up of leaders from both factions.


Mabuyakhulu, who also served as co-operative governance MEC and ANC provincial treasurer, is likely to head the slate that backed Ramaphosa.

Peggy Nkonyeni, the former education MEC who was fired along with Mabuyakhulu in the purge by the Zikalala-faction after the November 2015 provincial conference, is likely to stand as his deputy.

The Zikalala faction will field current premier and ANC deputy chairperson Willies Mchunu for the post. But he is in poor health and there is a lobby in the Zikalala camp to replace him with a younger leader, with education MEC Mthandeni Dlungwane being mentioned.

Suspended lower South Coast regional chairperson Mzwandile Mkhwanazi is the most likely candidate for secretary on the Ramaphosa-supporting ticket and stands against incumbent Super Zuma. Both camps appear to want the current deputy secretary, Mluleki Ndobe, to continue in the post and both are understood to be talking to him.

South African Communist Party provincial chairperson and former eThekwini ANC chairperson James Nxumalo appears to be the frontrunner for treasurer on the Ramaphosa slate, while the Zikalala faction wants to field the incumbent, Nomusa Dube-Ncube, to remain.

Vryheid ANC councillor Lawrence Dube, the first applicant in the court bid to oust Zikalala, said he had been informed that Super Zuma and other PEC members had moved out of Pixley ka Seme House, the ANC provincial office, on Tuesday afternoon.

“Finally they have packed their bags and left the office,” said Dube, who has also been touted as an additional PEC member on the Mabuyakhulu-led slate.

“The [ANC] top six has told them they are unlawful. They now need to accept that they are just ordinary ANC members. We are expecting that the NEC will ratify the decision and appoint a provincial task team to oversee the rerun of the provincial conference,” he said.

Dube said he expected the NEC to appoint the provincial task team from both factions to oversee both conference preparations and the running of the ANC in the province in the interim.

“We aren’t too concerned about names. The NEC will ensure that sober people are appointed,” he said.

But former ANC provincial executive committee spokesperson Mdumiseni Ntuli said there was a concerted campaign to influence the NEC decision and that they were still in office.

“A structure of the ANC only gets dissolved by a higher structure of the ANC. The higher structure is the NEC, which has not yet met. This is a bid to influence the meeting. We are still in office.”

Meanwhile, the action in the South Gauteng High Court by some of the 68 ANC branch delegates whose votes were not counted in the top six election at the party’s elective conference at Nasrec in Johannesburg last month is likely to continue and could still result in Senzo Mchunu becoming party secretary general. The conference steering committee allowed the votes of only 15 of the delegates to be counted, with Ace Magashule winning the post. But a group of branches served the conference with notice of their intention to go to court about the matter.

Dexter Selepe, the lawyer for the affected branches in Limpopo and KwaZulu-Natal, said they had instructions from their clients to proceed with the matter.

“Key people were away, hence the delay. They are back [now] and we are consulting further this week,” Selepe said.

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Paddy Harper
Paddy Harper
Storyteller.

Related stories

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Public protector’s ‘mistakes’ were made to nail the president, court hears

Busisiwe Mkhwebane discarded facts that were inconvenient to her when she investigated the CR17 campaign, Cyril Ramaphosa’s lawyers argued

CR17 report is not perfect, but the investigation was rational, court hears

So says public protector Busisiwe Mkwhebane’s lawyer, who said she had reason to suspect the money was being laundered through the campaign

The president, the preacher and the great escape

Malawi’s new president was furious after Shepherd Bushiri’s dramatic disappearance from South Africa

#CR17 fight heads to the Constitutional Court

amaBhungane’s arguments about the disclosure of campaign funding are also expected to be heard

Ace prepares ANC branches for battle

ANC secretary general Ace Magashule is ignoring party policy on corruption-charged officials and taking his battle to branch level, where his ‘slate capture’ strategy is expected to leave Ramaphosa on the ropes
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

DRC: Tshisekedi and Kabila fall out

The country’s governing coalition is under strain, which could lead to even more acrimony ahead

Editorial: Crocodile tears from the coalface

Pumping limited resources into a project that is predominantly meant to extend dirty coal energy in South Africa is not what local communities and the climate needs.

Klipgat residents left high and dry

Flushing toilets were installed in backyards in the North West, but they can’t be used because the sewage has nowhere to go

Nehawu leaders are ‘betraying us’

The accusation by a branch of the union comes after it withdrew from a parliamentary process
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…