Rewind to 2005: Jacob Zuma has been charged

Charges against former president Jacob Zuma related to the arms deal have been reinstated.

“I am of the view that there are reasonable prospects of a successful prosecution of Mr Zuma on the charges listed in the indictment served on Mr Zuma prior to the termination of the matter by Mpshe SC,” Shaun Abrahams, National Director of Public Prosecutions at the National Prosecuting Authority announced on Friday.

These charges,which include charges of corruption, racketeering and fraud may carry jail time. Abrahams said there are 16 charges standing from an 18 charge indictment.

READ MORE: Zuma charges loom over KZN campaign

The charges include: one count of racketeering, two counts of corruption, one count of money laundering and 12 counts of fraud.

Zuma has always protested his innocence, even though his financial adviser, Schabir Shaik was imprisoned for bribing him.

In 2009, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) dropped all charges against Zuma, saying recordings of intercepted telephone calls, known popularly as the “Spy Tapes” showed his prosecution was being manipulated for political ends.

The case had been ongoing for more than a decade, and in recent years Abrahams, a Zuma ally, has been criticised for refusing to charge the former president and for risking the independence of the NPA.

Abrahams insisted on Friday that he had always been committed to the case and he had been ready to make the announcement at the end of February. He said that an agreement with Casac and pending court cases prevented him from earlier notifying the country of his decision.

Zuma was informed that he will be charged earlier on Friday, Abrahams said. The former president submitted representations earlier this year on why he should not be charged after he missed his initial deadline last year.

In his representation, Abrahams said, Zuma “disputed the allegations against him” and said that he did not have the prerequisite intentions to commit those crimes.

As the M&G reported last year, the tapes, given to the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) as part of Zuma’s “representations” as to why he should not be prosecuted, were recordings of telephone conversations, mostly between former Scorpions head Leonard McCarthy and the first national director of public prosecutions, Bulelani Ngcuka.

Arms deal: A citizen’s guide to coughing up for con men

They revealed that McCarthy had consulted extensively with Bulelani Ngcuka, a known Mbeki supporter, about when to indict Zuma – with a view, said Zuma, to bettering Mbeki’s chances of winning the ANC elective conference in Polokwane.

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Raeesa Pather
Raeesa Pather
Ra’eesa Pather is a Cape Town-based general news and features journalist.
Advertisting

‘My biggest fear was getting the virus and dying in...

South African Wuhan evacuee speaks about his nine-week ordeal

Border walls don’t stop viruses, but a blanket amnesty might

Why South Africa should consider amnesty for undocumented migrants in the time of the coronavirus outbreak.

Mail & Guardian needs your help

Our job is to help give you the information we all need to participate in building this country, while holding those in power to account. But now the power to help us keep doing that is in your hands

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories