Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

SIU report a ploy to ’embarrass Gauteng ANC’ — Hlongwa

Former Gauteng Health MEC Brian Hlongwa says a report by the Special Investigating Unit (SIU), linking him to corruption amounting to R1.2-billion, was nothing new, labelling the report a ploy “to embarrass the Gauteng ANC”.

Hlongwa was once again in the headlines last week following the release of the damning SIU report in May which links him and various officials and companies to corrupt activities.

“Contrary to the impression created in the media, therefore, the SIU report is not a new and sensational exposé,” Hlongwa said in a statement on Monday.

“The report is a summary of an ongoing legal process, the detail of which has been in the public domain for the last four years and which, I add, has been regularly reheated [sic] at strategic intervals, primarily to embarrass the Gauteng ANC,” he said.

The report details outcomes of an investigation which were submitted to former president Jacob Zuma in March 2017.

READ MORE: Limos & spas: SIU reveals details of ANC chief whip Hlongwa’s role in R1.2b graft

This after Zuma had tasked the SIU to investigate alleged corruption in the health department in May 2010.

“Until the report’s publication, I was not aware that the SIU had completed its investigation, which it had commenced in 2010.”

Hlongwa said the matter was widely reported in 2014, when the National Director of Public Prosecutions sought a preservation order against the property, which he allegedly bought with proceeds of corruptly awarded tenders.

He said the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) had instituted proceedings for the forfeiture in 2014.

Hlongwa said affidavits were exchanged in those proceedings and that he was cooperating fully with the NPA.

“The allegations in the NPA’s papers (now summarised in the SIU report) have been regularly ventilated in the Gauteng provincial legislature at least once a year since 2014, and each round has likewise been reported in the press. I ask that the law be permitted to take its course in relation to the ongoing proceedings.

‘Political protection’

“In October 2014, the Hawks informed me that they had issued a warrant for my arrest — again, in respect of the self-same allegations which are now summarised in the SIU Report. I arranged to hand myself over to the Hawks.

“My legal representatives had already prepared affidavits in support of the inevitable bail application when the Hawks informed me that, at that point in time, they would not be proceeding with my arrest. I am not privy to their reasons.”

In its report, the SIU uncovered evidence of various trips funded by 3P Consulting for Hlongwa and a few Gauteng health department officials during 2006-2009.

“No evidence was obtained of Hlongwa declaring the trips or paying/reimbursing 3P Consulting for these trips,” read part of the report.

READ MORE: Hlongwa responds to SIU report: ‘I arranged to hand myself over to the Hawks’

The DA’s Gauteng health spokesperson, Jack Bloom, said previously that Premier David Makhura should act on the latest report.

“I suspect that Hlongwa has received political protection, as the case against him has not yet reached court, eight years after the SIU commenced investigation.

“I hope that this case goes to court as soon as possible, as the Gauteng Health Department has yet to recover from the disastrous period under Hlongwa,” Bloom said at the time.

READ MORE: Ex-health MEC in R1bn graft probe

The Treatment Action Campaign and Corruption Watch said in a statement last week that they had written to the Gauteng Director of Public Prosecutions and the Asset Forfeiture Unit. — News24

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Jeanette Chabalala
Jeanette Chabalala
Sports Fanatic,Current affairs Junkie,News24 Journalist.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

‘The children cannot cope any more’: Suicide in Calvinia highlights...

How Covid-19 has intensified the physical and emotional burdens placed on children’s shoulders.

Capitec Bank flies high above Viceroy’s arrow

The bank took a knock after being labelled a loan shark by the short seller, but this has not stymied its growth

More top stories

Covid-19: No vaccine booster shots needed yet

Scientists agree it is important to get most of the population vaccinated before giving booster jabs

The convenient myth of an Africa spared from Covid-19

There are few, if any, studies to support Pfizer chief executive’s assertion that the global south would be more vaccine-hesitant than the north

Council wants Hawks, SIU probe into BAT’s Zimbabwe scandal

The cigarette maker has been accused of giving up to $500 000 in bribes and spying on competitors
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×