Councils skint but officials get pay rise

At a time when hundreds of thousands of people are battling to cope with salary cuts and job losses because of the Covid-19 pandemic lockdown measures, town and city councillors are getting a 4% salary increase, backdated until July  1 last year.

Both the eThekwini and Cape Town metropolitan councils have already approved the increase in their 2020-2021 budgets, accepting and applying the

upper limits for remuneration of elected municipal officials gazetted by the co-operative governance and traditional affairs minister, Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, on April 24.

Municipalities also face a 6.5% hike for staff, which is part of a three-year national agreement.

The 4% salary increase, which mean metro mayors will now be paid R1 404 260 a year, will go ahead despite huge revenue losses in municipalities because residents and businesses were unable to pay their rates and municipal services bills. Municipalities were battling with nonpayment and were in a precarious financial position before the Covid-19 outbreak.


More than 9 000 councillors in South Africa’s 278 municipalities will benefit from the increases. The hike applies to all councillors, full-time and part-time, and include increases to daily allowances for attending council meetings, which are now pegged at R1 103 for each council function. Other allowances, including for data, cellphones and transport, have also been increased.

The salary increases are going ahead despite the announcement by President Cyril Ramaphosa that he and his Cabinet would take a 30% salary cut for three months and would not accept a salary increase in support of the Covid-19 relief fund.

In Cape Town, the Democratic Alliance-led council last month rejected a proposal by the African Christian Democratic Party councillor, Demetrius Dudley, that all councillors turn down the salary increase “whilst our city is being ravaged by Covid-19”, which was presented in a council Skype budget meeting.

Dudley’s proposal, contained in a proposed amendment to the council’s budget recommendations, also recommended that councillors take a 10% cut on their existing salaries and that the funds be channelled to service delivery. It was defeated by a margin of 180 to 42. 

Dudley said he had made the proposal because he believed it was morally correct that councillors should follow the example of Ramaphosa and reject the increases at a time when residents, from whom the municipality derived its revenue, were battling to survive in the face of Covid-19 losses and increases in municipal tariffs. 

The ANC-led eThekwini council passed its budget including the 4% increase, which was opposed by the DA, at the end of May. 

The move came despite warnings by eThekwini chief financial officer Krish Kumar, at a webinar with business last month, that the city would have only six days cash in hand at the end of June and was unlikely to be able to meet its salary bill. 

Kumar told the webinar that the city was considering increasing its overdraft by R1.5-billion to accommodate the loss in revenue. Apart from receiving only 56% of the revenue it usually got from ratepayers and residents, the city had also been forced to allocate R587-million for Covid-19 relief. 

DA eThekwini caucus chairperson Nicole Graham said they had decided to oppose accepting the increase because of the effect of the Covid-19 lockdown on the city’s finances. The budget, she said, needed to prioritise dealing with the effect of the pandemic on eThekwini’s economy, but this had not been done. 

She said the DA’s lawyers have served the city with notice of the party’s intention to challenge the legality of the council meeting, held virtually on Microsoft Teams, because she was repeatedly muted when she tried to address the budget meeting. 

The social media links set up to facilitate public participation in the meeting had also failed and were abandoned.  

Graham said it did not make sense to increase salaries when the city was running out of money. “We opposed the salary increase for councillors because, while it only amounts to around R1.5-million a year, it still has an impact. The people we represent are facing huge economic hardship. It is immoral for us to be rewarding ourselves while the people we claim to represent are suffering.” 

City spokesperson Msawakhe Mayisela referred the Mail & Guardian to Mluleki Mntungwa, the spokesperson for speaker Weziwe Thusi. None had responded to queries at the time of publication.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Paddy Harper
Paddy Harper
Storyteller.

Related stories

SAA in talks to recoup R350-million in blocked funds from Zimbabwe

The cash-strapped national carrier is in the process of recouping its blocked funds from Zimbabwe, which could go towards financing the airline’s business rescue plan

The natural resource curse in Cabo Delgado

A humanitarian crisis looms as a violent insurgency continues to sweep over northern Mozambique. As many flee to safety, the question remains: who, or what, fuels the fire?

Ailing Far East Rand hospital purchases ‘vanity’ furniture

Dr Zacharia Mathaba, who purchased the furniture, is a suspected overtime fraudster and was appointed as Gauteng hospital chief executive despite facing serious disciplinary charges

It’s not a ‘second wave’: Covid resurges because safety measures are relaxed or ignored

A simple model shows how complacency in South Africa will cause the number of infections to go on an upward trend again

Deconstructing South Africa’s construction industry performance

The construction industry has contracted sharply, partly due to Covid, and needs to rebalance its focus if it wants to survive

Fort Hare students test positive for Covid after partying

The 30 students, who went to a bash at a tavern in East London, were not wearing masks, did not sanitise their hands nor keep to social distancing regulations.
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

SAA in talks to recoup R350-million in blocked funds...

The cash-strapped national carrier is in the process of recouping its blocked funds from Zimbabwe, which could go towards financing the airline’s business rescue plan

The natural resource curse in Cabo Delgado

A humanitarian crisis looms as a violent insurgency continues to sweep over northern Mozambique. As many flee to safety, the question remains: who, or what, fuels the fire?

Unions cry foul over SABC dismissal costs and retrenchments

Broadcaster bodies say claims that a recent skills audit is unrelated to retrenchments are ‘irrational’

Gas: SA’s next “battleground”

As government pushes for a huge increase in electricity generation from gas, serious questions are being raised about the logic behind the move
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday