‘Rolling Stone’ bombs out over Boston suspect cover

Boston mayor Thomas Menino on Wednesday described the magazine's cover as "a disgrace".

While Rolling Stone defended its decision, drugstore chain CVS Caremark Corp refused to sell it.

"It's a total disgrace, that cover of Rolling Stone," Menino told reporters at the opening of a rail station.

"It should have been about survivors or first responders. Why are we glorifying a guy who created mayhem in the city of Boston? I am going to be in touch with the publishers and tell them how I feel about it."

Tsarnaev is the survivor of a pair of brothers accused of carrying out the worst mass-casualty attack on US soil since September 11 2001 killing three people and injuring more than 260 at the Boston Marathon on April 15 with a pair of homemade pressure-cooker bombs.


The August issue of the magazine depicts Tsarnaev, with long, shaggy hair and sporting a light beard and moustache, over the headline: "The bomber: How a popular, promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam and became a monster."

'Out of state'
Tsarnaev (19) looks thinner and younger in the photo than he appeared last week in a Boston federal court to face charges related to the bombing, which carry the threat of execution.

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick was more restrained in his comments.

"I haven't read it, but I understand the substance of the article is not objectionable, it's apparently pretty good reporting," Patrick said. "But the cover is out of taste, I think."

The article, which Rolling Stone posted to its website on Wednesday, reveals a few new details about Tsarnaev, including that he once told a high school friend he believed terrorist attacks could be justified and he "took his religion seriously", according to a friend cited in the article.

In a statement, the magazine's editors defended their decision to feature Tsarnaev on a cover that has depicted music legends ranging from Bob Dylan to Jay-Z, as well as actors and other celebrities, over its 45-year history.

"The cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism," the magazine's editors said.

"The fact that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is young, and in the same age group as many of our readers, makes it all the more important for us to examine the complexities of this issue."

Social media rage
The decision to put Tsarnaev on the cover drew a wave of outrage on social media, including Twitter.

CVS Caremark said on its Twitter feed it would not carry the issue "out of respect for the victims and their loved ones".

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his 26-year-old brother plotted the marathon attacks months in advance, authorities charge, traveling to New Hampshire to buy fireworks that they used in building the bombs.

Three days after the attack, the FBI unveiled video stills of the two near the finish line, in the hope that members of the public would be able to identify them.

That prompted the pair to try to flee the city.

Prosecutors say the men first killed a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer in an unsuccessful effort to steal his gun, then engaged in a gun battle with police that ended when Dzhokhar ran over his older brother, contributing to his death.

The younger Tsarnaev's escape led to a day-long manhunt that ended with his arrest late on April 19.

Tsarnaev appeared in court for the first time last week, and pleaded not guilty to all charges in a 30-count indictment.

He faces the possibility of the death penalty if convicted. – Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Reuters
Guest Author

Related stories

M&G is most trusted weekly news brand

In a poll by the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, based at Oxford University, the Mail & Guardian emerged as the most trusted weekly publication in South Africa

Blatter and Platini banned by Fifa for eight years

Football moguls still in denial, claim unfair treatment and will appeal ruling of ethics committee.

Bob Dylan’s ‘Hard Rain’ lyrics expected to sell for £200 000

The draft of 'A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall' lyrics contains scribbled revisions and scratchings-out to the song that Dylan recorded in December 1962.

Boston Bomber: I am sorry for the lives I have taken

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has publicly expressed remorse for the first time since he executed the 2013 Boston marathon bombings.

Why the ‘obsession’ with pension cuts, asks Greek PM Tsipras

Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras sees further pension cuts to low earners as a red line his leftist Syriza party will not cross.

Nigeria oil company overpaid govt $750m – audit

An audit of Nigeria's state oil firm said it overpaid Goodluck Jonathan's government by $750-million, and had not properly accounted for $1.5-billion.
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Why anti-corruption campaigns are bad for democracy

Such campaigns can draw attention to the widespread presence of the very behaviour they are trying to stamp out — and subconsciously encourage people to view it as appropriate

Tax, wage bill, debt, pandemic: Mboweni’s tightrope budget policy statement

The finance minister has to close the jaws of the hippo and he’s likely to do this by tightening the country’s belt, again.

SA justice delays extradition of paedophile to UK

Efforts to bring Lee Nigel Tucker to justice have spanned 16 years and his alleged victims have waited for 30 years

Former state security minister Bongo back in court

Bongo and his co-accused will appear in the Nelspruit magistrate’s court in Mpumalanga over charges of fraud, corruption and theft
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday